Monday, April 30, 2012

Are You Happy??

"Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others " -Gordon B. Hinkley
--------------------------------
(turn music off at bottom)
OH how i LOVE Ellen Degeneres!

One day i watched an episode that REALLY hit me hard. I know im pregnant and emotional but it made me tear up and cry. They showed a video clip from the documentary "i am" (or "happy" which is the sequel, i cant remember). It was of this "poor" man who was basically living in a tarp with his son. This man was introducing himself and his home and he explains it as "this side is very open and has amazing air flow.. this side is covered with plastic etc etc". This man was soo happy and appreciative of what little he had. Then he started talking about his son and that is when i lost it (as i am loosing it now). He explains how he comes home from work to his son sitting in his HOME (tarp) and how incredible happy this man is and how he is the luckiest man alive.
It makes me feel so selfish and pitiful that i even complain about wishing we had more money to buy the ridiculous things we dont need. I really feel sorry for myself and sad when i see people that have the "luxurious" life?? How can i be so selfish?


The USA in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, but it is BY FAR the happiest. We fall at #25?

And this is really where our culture is heading. Everything is about money and body image and self loathing. Can we help that this is how we feel? We are surrounded with this new culture. We grew up this way.

But that doesnt mean we cant change.

We all have different things that make us happy.

The things that make me MOST happy is my little family. My husband, my daughter, and my little bun in the oven. Being a mom is the greatest joy in the world. And im SO privileged to be able to be home with my kids. That truly makes me happy. Yes more money would be nice.. but i'd be more sad being away from my kids and husband (assuming we'd have to work opposite schedules). Its just not worth it. My husband thought about taking a job far away that paid a lot more money but he would be gone 2 weeks at a time. I told him id rather have money be tight and not live the "luxurious" life, then be depressed and lonley BUT have lots of money. Its just not worth it.

Also my immediate family and friends. And nothing makes me more sad then being away from family and friends too long or having "wedges" in friendships. 

Something as simple as just being WITH my loved ones. We dont even have to be doing anything in particular.

Im also the type of person to always put others before myself. I lOVE LOVE LOVE helping people. It brings me a lot of happiness and i do it without even thinking. Yea it leaves room to get walked on and taken advantage of but id rather be a good genuine person regardless!


But like i said.. we all are different..
What makes you happy??
(answer in comments.. i want to see what everyone says!)

3 comments :

Robin Quick said...

What makes me happy is seeing my sons happy. Seeing smiles on their faces fills my heart with joy!

Anna Mc. said...

I totally agree with you!

I hate how the US has become all about money & material possessions. I would seriously not think twice about moving off out in the country (to the Redwoods in CA to be exact - thats my boyfriend and I's dream home place) and seriously plant my own garden, take care of myself and my family.
I just want to do sorta like you - have my babies (one day), stay home with them and just worry about them being happy - not money in the bank, not worrying about what other people have, just being happy and humble!

jessica ♥ The Fevered Pen said...

And I just put up a post on all the pretties I wanted to buy if I had money LOL.

Seriously though, I may complain A LOT about being broke/not having "pretty things", and I get just as jealous seeing someone with a more "luxurious life" than me, but when it comes down to it I wouldn't trade anything. I'm 100% happy being a mama to these two wonderful boys and being a wife to my super hot and amazing mister.

Seeing that was very humbling...I know I am blessed, and lucky, and very very fortunate to have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. That's enough. <3

Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...