Friday, May 20, 2011

Healthy cookies??

Ok, ok, so maybe they arent HEALTHY but they are probably healthier than the average cookie :). A lady from my work shared this recipe with me and i really wanted to try it out. Let me tell you... these cookies are HEAVENLY....melt in your mouth, soft, to die for cookies. Here is how to make yourself some :)

*Carrot Cookies*
1. Cream together........ 1 cup shortening (half butter or margarine), 3/4 cup sugar

2. Add & beat well......... 1 egg, 1 cup carrots (cooked & mashed)
                             
 i boiled the carrots for about 15 min so that they were good and soft to mash. i also mashed my carrots kinda chunky. I also beat the ingredients together before i added the carrots.                                                                                        

3. Add..................... 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
                                 2 teas. baking powder
                                 1/2 teas. salt
                                  1 teas. orange juice (i used fresh squeezed juice)
                                 2 teas. orange rind
                                  1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)  i didnt add nuts

Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.
Bake @ 375 degrees for 10 min.
Bray was anxious


Spread with the following icing.......

grated rind from 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 an orange
Powdered sugar to spreading consistency

 i wanted my frosting more runny so that i could drizzle the frosting on rather than spread it. Just keep adding powdered sugar to the orange juice mixture to desired consistency.
 Bray enjoyed her bedtime snack
 i LOVE the chunks of carrots. And the orange juice frosting makes these cookies TO DIE FOR!
i seriously eat like 10 a day :). Now i know these arent "healthy" but they are healthier. Im going to make another batch and substitute the sugar with sweetener. i already substituted the butter for margarine. and yea. makes it a tiny bit more healthy. Every effort counts right??!

Enjoy lovies!

12 comments :

kyna... said...

I am a new follower of your blog! I love it!

I have a weekly feature on my blog called - quick recipe of the week - , a weekly series where I feature a different family friendly recipe each week. I am looking for some guest contributors! Would you be interested in being a guest blogger on my blog in one of the upcoming weeks and featuring your favorite recipe on my blog??

Please check out my blog and let me know if you want to help me out! You can contact me through my blog if you are interested!

http://greatexpectations-kyna.blogspot.com/

Gena @ Life With Captain Fussybuckets said...

YUM! I gotta try this with my 2 year old! The boy who used to gobble down carrot baby food won't touch carrots these days!

Thanks for stopping by our blog!

Paige @ The Crunchy Mamacita said...

Looks yummy! I'm your latest follower, Check me out at http://thecrunchymamacita.blogspot.com/

Paige

kewkew said...

These looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by Tots and Me.

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Those look great! I love how we can add extras to our food to make them healthier -- my kids know I dump a handful of spinach into smoothies -- and seriously, you don't taste it.

I'm going to have to try your recipe. Only with gluten free flour as my youngest can't eat gluten due to Celiac Disease.

Thank you for sharing. I am INSPIRED!

Mother Mopher said...

hello there! just following you back...your baby girl is suuuuper cute!! ahhh i wish i was having a girl =(

http://realindianahousewife.blogspot.com/

Erin {Shortcuttobliss} said...

I love that you do picture tutorials!! I do that too and it makes cooking a new recipe so much easier because you know what to expect. Following you back*

TerinAleah said...

Oh, they look and sound delicious!! :)

http://terinaleah27.blogspot.com/

Mama on a Green Mission said...

Those look amazing! I see you stopped by my blog from the Friday hop! Thanks so much! I'm your newest follower, I'd love a follow back! :) I also want to invite you to link up to our Super Stalker Sunday blog hop the linky will go live in just a few minutes! Hope to see you there!

Have a great evening!

April
http://greenmissionmama.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Hey Krista,

Thanks for stopping by our closet!

Am following along...how sweet is your little girl?

Healthy cookies?! I'm in.

xo
babymama
avagracescloset.blogspot.com

Mo said...

These sound delish. Thanks for sharing! :)
Showin a little love back from http://mosmomstuff.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

YUMMY!!! This really looks good!
I'd love to have you guest post on my site with this recipe. Interested?

Thanks for stopping by my Friday blog hop! Hope to see you stop by again Friday!

Melissa
MeloMomma
melissa@melomomma.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...